May Battle of Flowers and Crosses
Spring in Cordoba is synonymous with flowers, flowers that in the month of May envelop every corner of the city. To welcome this pleasant season, the "Battle of Flowers" is organized, a procession in which the floats are completely decorated with flowers.
The Popular Cruces de Mayo Contest takes place on the last weekend of April and traditionally a large cross is usually decorated with red or white carnations, with some decorative Cordoban elements next to it, such as a hat resting on a chair and a guitar.
Tips on what to do in Las Cruces:
1. Take a wine DO Montilla Moriles: Next to the crosses, a bar is installed
2. Tapas typical cordobesas: in these same bars you can taste some of the tapas typical cordobesas like the flamenquines or the salmorejo
3. Live music: The night is also a good time to visit the crosses, since there are bands of music that play live.
4. In tourist offices you can collect maps that mark the route of the crosses, although the most popular are the one of San Nicolás, Cuesta del Bailío and the one of the Place of Santa Marina, San Basilio, the one of San Agustín and the one of San Andres.
5. Parallel to the popular contest of the Crosses of May 2017, will be held in the Plaza de las Tendillas the XXVI Contest of Dance Academies with performances.
In the following link, programming:
The Battle of Flowers this year will take place on Sunday 30/04 and starts at 12.00. It is a parade of floats decorated with flowers of paper and other typical elements of Cordova along the Avenue of the Walk of the Victory;
In what consists the Battle of Flowers:
1. Those who go inside dress in gypsy or flamenco dress.
2. From the floats they are throwing flowers and the people who are watching, throw them back doing a "battle of flowers".
3. The origin of this tradition is not well known; If that began in the 40's, then there was an empty and it resumed in the 80's until today.